WARNING!
With the new Ircam Forum website coming, the user groups will be migrated towards a new platform.
Please plan user groups downtime between Monday, March 25th and Tuesday, March 26th.

Group Admins

• Profile picture of Karim
  • Profile picture of Jean

OpenMusic

Public Group active 21 hours, 12 minutes ago

User group for OpenMusic and computer-aided composition. Visit the Forum for discussions.

Problems with subst-rhythm

Author 3 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of caspar80
caspar80

I have tried to do the examples from Mikhail Malts Text “Some considerations on Brian Ferneyhough’s Musical Language – Part 1″ from the “The OM Composer’s Book 2″, which is helpful for my Phd Thesis about Syntax and algorithmic Composition. I have a problem with the generic function “subst-rhythm”. Whenever I try to connect the subst-rhythm Object with the Voice Object, it gives me different results, than in the book. Can you find the mistake? The mistake is in the two voice Objects below. It would be helpful, if you have the book to compare with the screenshots in the book.

Attachments:
  1. Bildschirmfoto-2019-01-04-um-17.16.38

Bildschirmfoto-2019-01-04-um-17.16.38.png

January 4, 2019 at 17:21 #28714
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

It would be helpfull if you send the patch.That way it will save me some time.

Best
K

January 4, 2019 at 17:47 #28717
caspar80

See attached

Best

Caspar

Attachments:
  1. 03022019b-2.omp
January 4, 2019 at 17:59 #28718
caspar80

This is the example from the book (see also attached).

Attachments:
  1. IMG_2031

IMG_2031.jpg

January 4, 2019 at 18:04 #28721
Profile photo of Karim
Karim

Ok thanx Caspar.

Some explanations:

Well the problem here is with the author’s examples and the version of subt-rhythm used in. The author being Mikhail, who was at the origin of this function which was done in PatchWork, the ancestor of OM. So i believe he copied (or exported the example as is) from Patchwork. I re-wrote the code sometime now, in order to make the function more universal, using either proportions or list of proportions.
So the first change is in the positions. In Lisp and many other computer languages, the positions start with 0. I know it is not that intuitive for a musician, So what you should do, is just decrement the position (substracting fron the list of position -1).
Second, if you have just atoms, like int his example, the om version of subt-rhythm will just substitute the proportion and NOT subduvude the existant proportion. So In the attachment you will find, you will see a loop. this will create for all positive integers a list, so it will get subsitutted in the existant proportions (cf. help of the subst). So for instance the first subdivision, here 5 will be transformed into (1 1 1 1 1) , etc… And if you notice, the -6, it’s maybe a Ferneyhough convention in his example is not a proportion, but just turns the given note position into a rest.

Hope this helps.

BEst
K

January 4, 2019 at 18:27 #28724
caspar80

Great! Thanks!

January 4, 2019 at 20:35 #28730
Profile photo of Dagfinn Koch
Dagfinn Koch

Hello Casparo and Karim, I haven’t found tutorial patches for OM-Combine “The Ferneyhuough library”. Do you know if it exists a PDF with examples? I think some of the technics can be useful in my work.

Best, Dagfinn

January 8, 2019 at 10:43 #28749

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.