Spat

Public Group active 4 days, 17 hours ago

User group for Spat, panoramix and ToscA

vbap2D spread behavior

Author 2 Subscribed Users |
Profile photo of jln
jln

Hi,

Having used for quite some time old legacy vbap external, I want to replace it with spat.pansig~ as I need audio control of vbap’s parameters.

In the process I noticed that the spread parameter has a really different behavior in spat.pansig~ as compared to vbap. Is this expected ?

Note that in the example below I used spat.pan for demo purpose, but spat.pansig~ give same results

Thanks in advance

Julien

— Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. —
June 9, 2017 at 18:39 #22547
Profile photo of T.
T.

Hi Julien,

Well, yes, the spread law in spat pan is somehow different from legacy vbap external.
Is that really a problem ? Spat pan was not intended to be a one-to-one replacement of legacy vbap.

Anyway, in future versions I might add an option to chose among various spread laws (including the legacy vbap).

T.

June 10, 2017 at 22:46 #22559
Profile photo of jln
jln

Hi,

Thanks for this confirmation. I wasn’t sure whether it was supposed to be an implementation of Ville Pulkki external or not.

Well, it is a problem in my own case, but I must say I’m not using vbap for spatialization purpose, here: I use it in a synthesis patch for scanning some audio inputs and legacy vbap’s kind of bandpass filter-like shape is what I’m interested by. Hence, spat’s spread law inducing more of a balance between between front and rear doesn’t sound very well here. But, yes, that’s quite a specific use case.

I, for one, would be happy to have different spread laws to experiment with ! I’ll also dig some other solutions for my purpose.

Cheers,
Julien

June 11, 2017 at 16:06 #22562
Profile photo of T.
T.

I’ll integrate various laws in future versions.

In the meanwhile, you can also create your own spread law, just as a patch:
Spreading is typically achieved by creating multiple replicas of the virtual source, with varying angles of arrival.
You could combine one or several spat.pan to build such a “multiple-directions” system. Shouldn’t be too difficult.

T.

June 12, 2017 at 08:48 #22568
Profile photo of jln
jln

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and for considering this. Yes, in the mean time I’ll experiment with implementing this by hand.

Cheers,
Julien

June 13, 2017 at 00:12 #22578

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.