IRCAM's Artistic Research Residency Program offers artists of all disciplines the opportunity to collaborate with one or more IRCAM research teams as part of a residency that can be extended in a partner institution. IRCAM is partnering with Zentrum für Kunst und Medien (ZKM), Karlsruhe, Germany and Société des Arts Technologiques (SAT), Montreal, Canada, for the 10th edition of its Artistic Research Residency Program. The benefits of residence are many: Offer a time for reflection on its practice; Work with researchers to develop an new artistic research path together; Develop or perfect an innovative creative tool; Conduct experimental artistic research; Produce the prototype of an artefact; Compose the sketch of a piece, a performance; Test a configuration, an innovative technical set-up like a 360-degree immersive audio / video device such as the SAT Satosphère or the ZKM's Klangdom. An international panel of experts, including the leaders of the expected host project-teams, will evaluate each proposal. The evaluation is based on the originality of the project and its innovative character, collaborative aspects, experience and ability to undertake the proposed project.
See the past editions: http://www.ircam.fr/creation/residence-en-recherche-artistique/
Call for proposals
For the 10th edition of its Artistic Research Residency Program, IRCAM invites artists from all disciplines to submit an original artistic research project, in collaboration with one or more research teams from IRCAM, and that may extend in ZKM, Karlsruhe, Germany and SAT, Montreal, Canada.
The benefits of residence are many: Offer a time for reflection on its practice; Work with researchers to develop an new artistic research path together; Develop or perfect an innovative creative tool; Conduct experimental artistic research; Produce the prototype of an artefact; Compose the sketch of a piece, a performance; Test a configuration, an innovative technical set-up...
Applications are accepted only online via the Ulysses Network: http://www.ulysses-network.eu. Applicants can submit their material upon creation of an account on the website. The deadline for application is November 17th 2017 - November 26th 2017 (midnight Paris time) - deadline extension.
An international panel of experts, including the leaders of the expected host project-teams, will evaluate each proposal. Candidates are advised to contact these host project-teams before the application, in order to refine the proposal together. The evaluation is based on the originality of the project and its innovative character, collaborative aspects, experience and ability to undertake the proposed project. In special cases, a special committee organized by Ircam and partners will interview some candidates.
For joint IRCAM / ZKM and IRCAM / SAT residences, proposals should highlight the complementary and collaborative aspects of co-residence within the two institutions.
At the end of the final selection by an international jury, the laureates of the 2019 Residency Program will be announced at the forum workshops in Paris on March 7, 2018.
Each laureate will be granted a residence at Ircam, within the expected host project-team, possibly followed by a period of co-residence at the ZKM or at the SAT, for a determined total period (between 2 weeks and six months), spanning from September 2018 to December 2019. Each winner will receive the equivalent of 1200 euros per month to cover his expenses.
Read more about Ircam: http://www.ircam.fr
Read more about ZKM : http://zkm.de/
Read more about SAT : http://sat.qc.ca/
Create an account (or use an existing account) on http://www.ulysses-network.eu/. After completing your profile, click on "apply" on the contest page:
Then start your submission. You can save your application as a draft before the submission deadline. The platform will notify you of any incompleteness before the final submission.
- The application form includes information that may be published and others, intended solely for the evaluation of the proposal (public and private, respectively). Some information is mandatory and others are optional.
- A category "Personal Information"
- Last name, first name, age, nationality, date of birth, address
- Do you need accommodation in Paris?
- A CV, a cover letter, a description of previous work and, if possible, a letter of recommendation
- Your experience in working with research teams from IRCAM or others.
- A category "Project Presentation"
- Title, abstract, and detailed proposal.
- Work plan, provisional budget and desired planning of the residence.
- Target of the residency and specific needs.
- Collaborative aspects
- A principal team-project host and other secondarily associated
- The quality of the presentation, the accuracy of the information and the elaboration of the proposals are evaluated by the jury. It is advisable to back up your work plan with a state of the art justifying the innovative nature of your approach.
- The planning of residences must allocate the effective duration of the residence (2 weeks to 6 months) over the period from September 2018 to December 2019.
- The work plan, the estimated budget, the planning of the residence and the objectives are not contractual and purely informative. After selection, these elements will be adapted and consolidated with the of the host project-team.
- The application must be made by a natural person and not by a collective. If the project is co-authored by several candidates, the nomination must be submitted by one candidate referring to the proposal.
- Application forms can be in French or in English (for IRCAM / ZKM co-residences, applications must be in English).
- The application is strictly online. No material sent by e-mail will be considered.
- Deadline for submission: 17 November 2017 26 November 2017 (midnight Paris time). No derogation will be granted.
- Any incomplete application according to the aforementioned guidelines will be rejected. The authors are responsible for the content of the application and for its verification.
- All private documents submitted are considered confidential and will not be used by IRCAM or a third party without the consent of the applicant. Public information may be used by IRCAM for communication purposes.
- IRCAM reserves the right to terminate the residency following its selection, at any stage of its development and to refuse the presentation of a project considered incomplete, insufficient, ethically not in conformity with its policies. In such a case, Ircam may withdraw it entirely from its residency program at any time and without notice.
- In the case of the IRCAM / ZKM and IRCAM / SAT co-residences, each institution will contract independently with the residents, within the framework of the local legislation.
- The Artistic Research Residency Program does not cover travel and per diem expenses for selected artists and their collaborators. The cost of the residency must be detailed in the estimated budget, specifying what the artist, the program and / or a third party (producer or other source of co-financing) intends to invest in the project.
- The Artistic Research Residency Program can write a letter of intent to facilitate the search for funding or grants;
- Ircam offers the support of its Research / Creation Interfaces department for the broadcasting, audio-visual archiving and communications related to the project in its networks and on its website;
- The Artistic Research Residency Program is neither a commission for a work of art nor a scientific residence.
For all questions or concerns, use the contact link residency2019 (at) ircam.fr