Open position - Professor in spatial audio for artistic applications – C-Lab - Taiwan
Start Date:September 2020
Duration: 36 months with opportunities for a permanent position
Introduction to the hosting institutions – C-Lab, National Taiwan University and Tainan National University of the Arts
C-Lab is a new center, supported by Taiwan’s Ministries of Culture, Research and Innovation, dedicated to interdisciplinary collaborations between art, science and technology with a high impact to the society. Located in an area of7 hectaresin the heart of Taipei, it deploys in the upcoming years an ambitious architectural and organisational project for its activities in artistic production, scientific research, technological and social innovation, and cultural heritage. Close collaborations are developed with many public and private actors including the National Taiwan University and the Tainan University of the Arts. The Taiwan Sound Lab, in collaboration with IRCAM in Paris aims at founding research and development in spatial audio with artistic and industrial applications in AR/VR, contemporary music and multimedia production and at establishing collaborations in various industrial sectors. The Sound Lab is equipped with a 53-speaker surround system that supports various advanced 3D sound specialisation methods as well as with head-mounted displays and headphones for binaural 3D sound. The future architectural project foresees the installation of larger-scale systems including an HOA system studio.
Description of the position
A Visiting Professor position will be opened atthe Taiwan National University in Taipei andtheTainan University of the Arts in Tainan. The successful candidate will teach spatial audio and applications in multimedia and artistic production in these two universities.
In addition, the successful candidate will act as the head of the acoustic research team at C-Lab. He or she will build and lead a Spatial Audio Team of engineers, PhD students and other collaborators with main missions for:
- Developing an original research project in the field of spatial audio, with publications in main related international journals and conferences;
- Applying this research to technological developments for multimedia and artistic productions in live and interactive situations;
- Developing a network of collaborations with academic, industrial and cultural partners at national and international levels.
Salary range: 1500,000 NTD to 5000,000 NTD per year (to be assessed based on experience).
Required Experiences and Skills
- PhD, excellent research track and experience of research supervision in spatial audio (signal processing, acoustics, human perception) with applications to artistic and multimedia production;
- Very good knowledge and experience in software development, tools and methods;
- Very good knowledge of VR /AR technology;
- Experience of collaboration with artists and interdisciplinary teams;
- Experience of team/collaborative projects management;
- High productivity, excellent communication skills.
The application file shall contain:
- Detailed CV and publication list
- Key achievements: e.g. significant academic contribution(s), details of academic awards received, key academic research findings
- Optional: recommendation letters